kbbreview – Deputy Editor
April 2018 – present
I am currently the Deputy Editor at kbbreview – a B2B magazine for the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom industry. My role is across the print magazine and online channels and social media.
- Write a variety of content for both print and digital including, analysis of the industry, company profiles, trends and news
- Working closely with the editor and the team to develop continuing success of the brand
- Orchestrate the digital growth of the brand on social media platforms like LinkedIn and Instagram and analyse the statistics
- Develop the social media strategy of the kbbreview Retail & Design Awards
- Produce the bi-weekly newsletter, from generating the content to working with the sales department for ads to building the final newsletter
- Manage the daily running of the kbbreview.com website and discover what is working with Google Analytics reports
- Interview the global and UK leaders of the kitchen and bathroom industry
- Be an ambassador for the brand at events and trades shows
Heating Ventilation and Plumbing and Builders’ Merchants News – Reporter
June 2017- November 2017
When I started at Hemming, I was working for two of its Building Services publications HVP and BMN. During this time I was able to multitask and manage my time between the two publications.
- Reporting and writing for both online and print, including research and interviewing key industry figures
- Organising magazine supplements and working with organisations to create content for them
- Commissioning content with people in the industry or marketing agencies to provide articles
- Producing the weekly newsletter and using HTML coding
- Sub-editing and proofreading
- Creating pages using InDesign and Photoshop
- Managing all four social media accounts and online marketing for the BMN Awards
MA Magazine Journalism (Grade: Merit)
University of Central Lancashire 2015-2016
NCTJ and PPA accredited course that focuses mainly on magazine production.
Key modules included: Teeline shorthand (80 words a minute), creating content, digital journalism, specialist writing, newsroom practice, law for journalists and public affairs.
Awards during MA
Highly Commended Magazine Academy Awards Best Original Concept 2016
For the concept of “Teal”. It is a Food, travel and lifestyle magazine; I designed for my final MA project.
UCLan Forte Fund Prize for Journalism
For achieving the overall highest marks in both the MA Journalism and Magazine Journalism courses for the 2015-16 academic year.
BA (Hons) Journalism with Creative Writing (Grade 2:1)
University of Chester 2012-2015
During this three-year course, I learnt the foundations of journalism and how to work with others but mainly how to organise myself and develop an entire magazine. Key modules include: writing and presenting the news both online and print, law and ethics, feature writing and magazine journalism.
August 2016 (2 weeks)
I was working for the online team of Shortlist Magazine and developed my skills at writing articles for a consumer title when producing content for immediate release online.
• Creating content for the website: including news articles, tend pieces and galleries
• Researching different articles and stories from a wide range of sources
Northern and Shell
August 2016 (2 weeks)
Working with the Sunday supplements for the Sunday Express and Sunday Star. I mainly worked for S magazine but also did tasks from Big TV and Hot TV.
• Transcribing of dictated interviews
• Attending press screenings and taking interview notes
• Subbing and proofreading
• Order returns and organising the fashion closet.
Rapid News Communications
May 2014 – June 2014 (5 weeks)
I did a five-week placement at Rapid News and I was working for five of their business-to-business magazines. The content I was writing about was challenging. However, this was an exciting opportunity to write about the content I was not familiar with. My main responsibilities were:
• Writing from press releases and sourcing photographs
• Managing websites and uploading content to the different sites
• Finding exclusive quotes and contacting companies about their products.
YouTube and Blogging
April 2012 – March 2020
I have been posting for five years and grown a following of 42,000 subscribers and over 16 million views. I manage all aspects of the channel including:
• Video production like scripting, filming, and editing
• Promoting and sharing on social media to produce more followers and views
• Using cross-platforming promotion across social media
• Understanding my audience and making content that suits them and being on brand
• Working with companies on outreach programmes
• Attending workshops and events at YouTube Space London
• Being part of panels at events, such as MCM Comic Con in October 2017.
Volunteering at a homeless shelter one evening a week during the winter, where I help serve food and talk with the guests who come in for food and shelter.
The Little Princess Trust
I have donated my hair twice to the charity that takes the hair and makes wigs to give to sick children who have lost their hair through an illness like cancer.