Builders’ Merchants News – Reporter
November 2017 – Present
Due to changes within the team, I was moved on to work to just work for BMN. I was doing the same job I was doing when I worked for both publications but took on more jobs like:
• Organising magazine supplements and working with organisations to create content for them
• Keeping the flow of the magazine and liaising with magazines departments and freelancers plus updating the flatplan
• Commissioning content with people in the industry or marketing agencies to provide articles
• Managing all four social media accounts
• Increasing the impressions on the Twitter account by over 175% within the first six months of starting at BMN
• Marketing for the BMN Awards
• Creating a social media strategy to raise the profile of the Awards and encourage engagement from followers.
Heating Ventilation and Plumbing and Builders’ Merchants News – Reporter
June 2017- November 2017
When I started at Hemming, I was working for two of its Building Services publications HVP and BMN. During this time I was able to multitask and manage my time between the two publications. My main role during this time was mostly reporting, which included:
• Representing the magazines at events and conferences
• Reporting and writing for both online and print
• Producing the weekly newsletter and using HTML coding
• Research and conducting interviews with key industry contacts
• Sub-editing and proofreading
• Layouts and design
• Creating pages using InDesign and Photoshop
• Work closely with all magazine departments
• Providing administrative advice and support to the Editor.
MA Magazine Journalism (Grade: Merit)
University of Central Lancashire 2015-2016
NCTJ and PPA accredited course that focuses mainly on magazine production including two group magazines, a business and a consumer, and I was editor-in-chief of the business magazine and digital editor for the user. During this course, I also learnt about the law and responsibilities of being a journalist, how to write hard news and how to use new media and how to tell a story in a variety of ways. As well as learning Teeline shorthand that I worked to 80 words a minute.
Key modules included: shorthand (Teeline), creating content, digital journalism, specialist writing, newsroom practice, law for journalists and public affairs.
BA (Hons) Journalism with Creative Writing (Grade 2:1)
University of Chester 2012-2015
During this three-year course, I learnt the foundations of journalism and how to work with others but mainly how to organise myself and develop an entire magazine on my own.
Key modules include: writing and presenting the news both online and print, law and ethics, feature writing and magazine journalism.
August 2016 (2 weeks)
I was working for the online team of Shortlist Magazine and developed my skills at writing articles for a consumer title when producing content for immediate release online.
• Creating content for the website: including news articles, tend pieces and galleries
• Researching different articles and stories from a wide range of sources
Northern and Shell
August 2016 (2 weeks)
Working with the Sunday supplements for the Sunday Express and Sunday Star. I mainly worked for S magazine but also did tasks from Big TV and Hot TV.
• Transcribing of dictated interviews
• Attending press screenings and taking interview notes
• Subbing and proofreading
• Order returns and organising the fashion closet.
Rapid News Communications
May 2014 – June 2014 (5 weeks)
I did a five-week placement at Rapid News and I was working for five of their business-to-business magazines. The content I was writing about was challenging. However, this was an exciting opportunity to write about the content I was not familiar with. My main responsibilities were:
• Writing from press releases and sourcing photographs
• Managing websites and uploading content to the different sites
• Finding exclusive quotes and contacting companies about their products.
YouTube and Blogging
April 2012 – Present
I have been posting for five years and grown a following of 42,000 subscribers and over 16 million views. I manage all aspects of the channel including:
• Video production like scripting, filming, and editing
• Promoting and sharing on social media to produce more followers and views
• Using cross-platforming promotion across social media
• Understanding my audience and making content that suits them and being on brand
• Working with companies on outreach programmes
• Attending workshops and events at YouTube Space London
• Being part of panels at events, such as MCM Comic Con in October 2017.
July 2014 – Present
My blog is a general lifestyle blog that includes posts about beauty, travel, food, fashion and my personal life. It is also a way to tie in all the other social media like Instagram and YouTube to make it one stream of my content.
• Writing reviews, opinion pieces and blogs.
• Editing photos and doing photo-shoots for products reviews.
• Managing the WordPress site. Designing the web page using HTML and scheduling content.
Volunteering at a homeless shelter one evening a week during the winter, where I help serve food and talk with the guests who come in for food and shelter.
The Little Princess Trust
I have donated my hair twice to the charity that takes the hair and makes wigs to give to sick children who have lost their hair through an illness like cancer.
Magazine Academy Awards Best Original Concept 2016
For the concept of “Teal”. It is a Food, travel and lifestyle magazine; I designed for my final MA project.
UCLan Forte Fund Prize for Journalism
For achieving the overall highest marks in both the MA Journalism and Magazine Journalism courses for the 2015-16 academic year.
A downloadable PDF version as well:
Vicki Emily Evans