University of Central Lancashire 2015-Present
MA Magazine Journalism
NCTJ and PPA accredited course that focuses mainly on magazine production including two group magazine, a business and a consumer, and I was editor-in-chief of the business magazine and digital editor for the consumer. During this course I also learnt about the law and responsibilities of being a journalist, how to write hard news and how to use new media and how to tell a story in a variety of ways. As well as leaning Teeline shorthand that I worked to 80 words a minute.
Key modules include: shorthand (Teeline), creating content, digital journalism, specialist writing, newsroom practice, law for journalists and public affairs.
University of Chester 2012-2015
BA (Hons) Combined Journalism with Creative Writing (grade 2:1)
During this three year course I learnt the foundations of journalism and how to work with others but mainly how to organise myself and develop an entire magazine on my own.
Key modules include: writing and presenting the news both online and print, law and ethics, feature writing and magazine journalism.
Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Penrith Cumbria – 2008-2012
Art (Graphic Design) B English Literature D
Philosophy of Religion C General Studies C
9 GCSEs (A-C; including English and Maths)
REVEVENT WORK EXPERIENCE
YouTube Partner – April 2012 – Present
My beauty and lifestyle channel have achieved over 2.5 million views and 9,200 subscribers. I have been posting for four years and I manage all aspects of the channel.
- Video production like: scripting, filming and editing.
- Uploading and using SEO words to gain clicks and traffic.
- Also promoting and sharing on social media to produce more followers and views. Using cross-platforming techniques and promoting across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Understanding my audience and making content that suits them.
- Working with companies such as Powder Accessories, Majique and Derma V19 to produce content for them.
Blogger – July 2014 – Present
I own two blogs, the first a beauty blog related to my beauty YouTube channel and the second more an informal, life blog. The beauty blog is the most followed and the roles for that include:
- Writing reviews, opinion pieces and creating fashion and beauty looks.
- Editing photos and doing photo-shoots for products reviews.
Editorial Internship – May 2014 – June 2014
Rapid News Communications, Chester, Cheshire
I did a five-week placement at Rapid News and I was working for five of their business-to-business magazines. The content I was writing about was challenging however this was an interesting opportunity to write about content I was not familiar with. My main responsibilities were:
- Writing from press releases and sourcing photographs.
- Managing websites and uploading content to the different websites.
- Finding exclusive quotes and contacting companies about their products.
- Promoting the content through social media.
- Working and leasing with the other editors.
- Teeline Shorthand at 80 words per minute.
- European Computing Driving Licence.
- Research skills about how to find out specific information.
- Layout and graphic design skills using Adobe programs, including InDesign and Photoshop.
- Create video content and edit video using software like Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier Pro. Also sound editing using Adobe Audition.
- Able to use all of Microsoft office software.
- Photography skills from location scouting to taking photos to editing.
- Communication skills including phone and email as well as interview skills.
- Full knowledge of social media and how to utilise it.
PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
Sales Assistant, Part-time – October 2015 – Present
Ernest Jones, Lancaster
Working as a sales associate at a jewellery shop.
Sales Assistant, Part-time – November 2014 – June 2015
Harriet and Dee, Chester, Cheshire
Working as a sale assistant in an independent card and gift shop.
Waitress, Part-time – May 2013 – September 2013
Debenhams Restaurant, Debenhams, Browns of Chester
Waitress, Part-time – September 2010 – September 2012
Cranstons Café Oswald’s, Penrith, Cumbria
Drama Society Communications Officer April 2013 – April 2014
Taking on main leadership roles within the society to help the general running of the society.
- I organised the society’s two shows and events to make them run like clockwork.
- Promotional work for the show including making physical and digital posters.
- Updating social media and setting up social media events pages.
Student Leadership Program with North Inter-Schools Christian Union (NISCU) September 2010 – July 2012
A leadership program to train students to become leaders in the holiday camps and weekly lunch clubs that NISCU runs.
- Working with other students has helped me be part of a team.
- Planning talks and sessions on my own and leading small groups of my peers.